November 04, 2019 2 min read

Homeowners insurance: it’s a complicated, nuanced topic, fraught with caveats and minute differences between individual policies. None of us like thinking about it, and when we do, trying to process all the dense industry jargon is likely to lead to quite the headache!


It’s a hard topic to talk about, but an essential one to understand, especially when it comes to such household necessities as flooring. Insurance money can help you get the resources you need to live comfortably and safely.


E Hardwood and Flooring, where you can buy hardwood flooring online, is here to help. Below, we discuss simply what your homeowners insurance is likely to cover in terms of monetary compensation for new flooring.

It Comes Down to Your Individual Policy

If the damage to your solid hardwood flooring, your engineered hardwood flooring, or your waterproof wood-look flooring was caused by something stated word-for-word in your individual insurance policy, you will receive some degree of financial compensation.


However, the keyword here is individual.All insurance brands and policies are different, so it’s impossible to make blanket statements about an entire industry when every insurance company and every homeowner is in a unique situation. The only way to know for sure what you’re covered for is to consult your individual policy.


However, that being said, there are some overarching insurance industry legal requirements and trends that can point you in the right direction:


  • If you took out a mortgage, you have homeowners insurance. When you purchased your home with a mortgage loan, you were required to display insurance for that home, be that a policy you chose yourself or one that was provided by the bank. If the latter is the case, you probably pay for it when you make your monthly mortgage payments. This means that, regardless of your situation, if you have a mortgage, you have an insurance policy, and that it is something you should look into if you’re opting for new floors.
  • “Acts of God,” as the industry puts it, are generally not covered. This means that natural disasters, such as floods and earthquakes, aren’t covered under most bare-bones insurance policies (though you can buy this coverage in addition to your standard policy).
  • There’s a big difference between HO-2 and HO-3 policies. These are the two most common policies held by homeowners. An HO-2 is your basic homeowners insurance policy. It protects your investment against 13 basic threats. An HO-3, in contrast, covers everything that isn’t explicitly excluded inside it, even the title of your policy can tell you a lot about what it covers!

Ready for New Floors? Check out E Hardwoods & Flooring Today

No matter your budget or insurance deductible, we have a product that’s right for you. Check out our online stock, or contact our office with product-related inquiries.